Sunday, October 4, 2009

Connection.

1982: The picture above was taken in my parent's backyard the day we announced our engagement. I was 20 years old, and we had been dating for about 3 years. Over the years, photos have revealed a lot about us: Our hairstyle successes and failures, weight changes, a total lack of fashion sense, happiness, and sometimes sadness. But the thing I find most interesting, though, is that somewhere along the way, our pictures began to reveal our connection. Maybe I'm the only one who can see it, but somewhere along the way our connection to each other became visible.We did not begin to dress alike (thank heavens), I don't think we began to look alike, it's . . . hard to explain.

1988: Married 5 years, we lived in Santa Barbara just down from the mission. Mark was a newly minted psychologist, and I was in sales. Other than the search for Mark's first professional job, life hadn't thrown us many curves yet.
1990: A year later, we'd lost our first child and Mark's job situation wasn't promising. Finding myself not pregnant as expected, I crashed a backpacking trip in the Sierras with Mark's Dad, brother-in-law, and nephew.
1991: We had been married 9 years when Amy was born, and our priorities changed rapidly. We bought our first home - the infamous condo in Goleta - I began working at home to be with Amy. In the second picture above, Amy was two and we were just months away from a move that would change our lives. Not long before that move, we lost our second baby.
2000: In 1995 we survived a shortsale on our condo after I lost my job and we managed to get out of town with a truck full of furniture, a three year old, and not much else. While moving here we received the call that my parents had been in a catastrophic car accident while on a mission trip in India. My Dad had been killed and my stepmom was very seriously injured. The move itself was incredibly stressful and this shocking loss put us over the top. We moved in with Mark's parents for almost two years while starting up Mark's practice. In spite of all the stress involved in the move, it was one of the smartest decisions we've made. When the picture above was taken, we had been in our own home for several years and had begun our one car, one job, one homeschooled kid lifestyle.
2009: Amy's graduation from CCHS. It was a wonderful experience that reinforced hard decisions we had made in the years before about parenting and educating our daughter. What an adventure it has been, and is!
2009: This picture was taken by Amy on our trip to Yellowstone and the Badlands. Weeks afterward, Amy had moved into Ball State and life has changed yet again. We've been married 27 years and I've noticed something. We are taking a lot more pictures of the two of us again, just like when we were first married. It's kind of nice. There are more wrinkles, less hair, and the same lack of fashion sense . . . but it doesn't matter. It's that connected thing again . . it gets better with age, and I can see it in the picture above. I need to remember this when I look in the mirror and see 50 coming at me like a speeding truck!

Mark 10:7-8 'For this reason a man will leave his father
and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.'So they are no longer two, but one.

Ecclesiastes 5:20 He seldom reflects on the days of his
life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

0 comments:

My Blog List

  • What a day! Our new and improved PLAN for attacking New York began at a bus stop right in front of our hotel. For under $4 per person, we were delivered wi...
  • Each year I encourage the C3 class to commit to reading the Bible through in a calendar year. Committing to daily reading of God's word greatly enriches yo...
  • We are home again. After sleeping 10 hours, I woke to find Mark in the living room watching Geronimo starring Matt Damon, filmed in Monument Valley, of...
  • 3752 miles later, we're home. The last two days of driving were a little long, but worth it. We listened to Harry Potter 4 on the way there, and Harry Pott...
Powered by Blogger.