Friday, October 23, 2009

Canine Canaries


Buffy, Gladys, Mr. Brett, Teddy, Toby . . . and Goldie.

Might pets be the mine canaries of our families? The healthier and happier we are, the better their life is. When circumstances, physical health, or mental health are stressed to the breaking point, our pets also suffer. The pets in my life have been no different.



Buffy is the first dog I remember.

I remember sitting on the back porch with one arm around Buffy and a bag of dry dog food between my feet. "One for you, and one for me." I can still taste that dusty, salty, dry, dog food: Kind of like crunchy freeze dried beef broth. I don't have a very good memory for how long we had Buffy, but he was an outside dog, and was ignored quite a bit of the time. In fact he ended up with a trip to the pound that I've been told had something to do with "no one takes care of this dog!" They didn't tell me that, though, since I was a little kid, so they just told me that he'd run away up the hill. I watched that hill for a long time.


Gladys was my dog.

Odd name for a dog, you say? She was also called "Glad-Ass" because when she was happy she wagged so hard that her tail practically hit her in the nose  -  and she could grin! Really grin - teeth showing and everything. My older sister gave her to us and I considered her MY dog. She really was a perfect dog . . . except for biting my Dad's ankles, having several illegitimate litters of puppies despite our six foot fence, and never once fetching a ball. She was the dog I grew up with. Gladys died of old age, put down after a debilitating stroke.



Teddy was the Chow Chow we got after Gladys and Mr. Brett (my mom's dog) died. The picture above is the day we got him, and that's the nicest he ever looked (although maybe he just looks good compared to the awful disco shirt I'm wearing). Teddy was a lion who roared when the doorbell rang, frightening dates and door-to-door salesmen alike. He was really Dad's dog. He generally did what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it. Kind of like a huge, not-too-bright body builder. Nobody messed with Teddy.To be fair, though, my parents loved that dog, and I think in his own dumb-jock way, he loved them, too.


We did not know what we were doing when we brought Toby home. We were in our early 20's, living in an apartment with a small backyard, and ready to practice our parenting skills on something living. He was a rescue - his family had moved away and left him in the garage, and it left him with some issues. As you can see in the photo above, Toby had a zest for life. He played, dug, chewed, ran, and drooled constantly. He was a smart dog who loved his toys and could go get the toy you named with 100% accuracy. He'd play with anything. He loved raw potatoes to toss around when he could steal them, balloons (which he carried by the knot, so as not to break them), and any sock that might drop from the dryer. He failed obediance school. Unfortunately for Toby, we made a common 20-something mistake. We plunged into pet ownership before we had quite enough stability in our lives. When we moved to another city, we had to find him another home. Our nephew was shocked that we could consider getting rid of Toby. He asked us, "When you have kids, will you get rid of them, too?" Ouch. Leave it to a 7 year old to lay it all out there. Fortunately we did find Toby a wonderful home with his groomer, two other English Springer Spaniels, and no kids (so that his occasional bursts of extremely bad temper would not be as dangerous).

After Toby, we waited a long time. We waited for that elusive stabilty, for a home with a backyard, and for our daughter to be old enough to help in the process.

Next blog: Goldie.

0 comments:

My Blog List

  • What a day! Our new and improved PLAN for attacking New York began at a bus stop right in front of our hotel. For under $4 per person, we were delivered wi...
  • Each year I encourage the C3 class to commit to reading the Bible through in a calendar year. Committing to daily reading of God's word greatly enriches yo...
  • We are home again. After sleeping 10 hours, I woke to find Mark in the living room watching Geronimo starring Matt Damon, filmed in Monument Valley, of...
  • 3752 miles later, we're home. The last two days of driving were a little long, but worth it. We listened to Harry Potter 4 on the way there, and Harry Pott...
Powered by Blogger.