Thursday, January 19, 2012

A bit of fun: There's a Monster Under My Bed.



Since Banjo has come into our lives, his picture and exploits have been common subjects on our facebook pages and daily conversations. Although people have suggested I consider writing a book about our terror of a terrier, I am not sure I have that kind of talent. Amy is more the writer in our family. However, months ago the following little story came to mind and I thought it was fun. I love children's books and their rhythm and repetitativeness. With a little work I think this could fit into that format. Of course if I had time, I'd take fun pictures of Banjo to go with every stage of the story. Or magically learn to illustrate like my favorites: Tomie DePaola, Michael Hague, or maybe even Chris Van Allsburg. But you'll just have to imagine the perfect pictures instead of the random ones I've included. And imagine each line on a different page of a children's book with all the anticipation of the turning page. Hope you enjoy it - it is just for fun!





There's a Monster Under My Bed 

There’s a monster under my bed.

I know he’s there, because I can hear him scratching,

thumping,

and ….jingling!

I try to sleep, but he wakes me up.

At first I’m afraid

but by morning I’m so tired I’m just ready to get rid of that monster!!

I’ll show him!

But then he jumps up and wags his tail and licks my hand, and I forget for another day that there’s a monster under my bed.




There’s a monster in my kitchen!

I know he’s there because there’s trash on the floor,

A cookie is missing,

And there are messy footprints everywhere.

I have just got to get this monster out of here!

That monster will have to go somewhere else to today!

But then he drops his ball on my knee and asks me to play, and I forget for another day that there’s a monster in my kitchen.



There’s a monster in my bathroom!

I know he’s there because my slipper is gone,

There’s tissues all over,

And towels on the floor!

But then he jumps on my lap and snuggles in close, and I forget for another day that there’s a monster in my bathroom.




There’s a monster in my backyard!

I can tell he’s there because there are holes in the yard,

Bones in the grass,

And I can hear his scary growling and howling out there!

But then I open the door and he zooms in, wagging his tail, and I forget for another day that there’s a monster in my backyard.



It’s time for bed once more. I put down my book and turn out my light, and . . .

Is that a monster under my bed?
The end.

1 comments:

Bobbi said...

SOoooo, start taking pictures...cuz this is GREAT! I read it to the Sweet Boobahs...they liked it. Emma shrieked...There are BONES in the yard! This is SO scary! And Caleb very stoically said, "The monster's the DOG...sheesh!" HAHAHA!

My Blog List

  • What a day! Our new and improved PLAN for attacking New York began at a bus stop right in front of our hotel. For under $4 per person, we were delivered wi...
  • Each year I encourage the C3 class to commit to reading the Bible through in a calendar year. Committing to daily reading of God's word greatly enriches yo...
  • We are home again. After sleeping 10 hours, I woke to find Mark in the living room watching Geronimo starring Matt Damon, filmed in Monument Valley, of...
  • 3752 miles later, we're home. The last two days of driving were a little long, but worth it. We listened to Harry Potter 4 on the way there, and Harry Pott...
Powered by Blogger.